Re: End of the Sand Train?

David Bromage wrote:

> Michael Walker (walker@hotkey.net.au) wrote:
> >> Perhaps what is needed is a rail-lobby effective enough to put a
> >> better more cost-effective alternative to the PM then spending money
> >> on a road that will be more expensive to maintain that rail, and,
> >> given the government's encouragement of road-based transport as the
> >> only viable transport option, only need further improvements in 10
> >> years time.
> >>
> >Can such a group exist? If so how?
>
> Grab a copy of Network Rail (formerly Network). The former Railways of
> Australia now incorporates the major operators, and importantly
> rollingstock manufacturers. They have formed a rail lobby group and might
> be able to guide you.
>
> Cheers
> David

I used to read Network until about a year or so ago. It seemed to me to
be full of stories about tourist travel and manufacturing companies
winning rail export contracts. Oh and of course QR leading the rest of
the country in forward thinking by building new railways and modern
trains. I guess reporting other states line closures and running down
maintenance and rollingstock and rights of way wasn't the sort of news
considered worth reporting (although somebody should in the vain hope it
might shame some of their members into action). I also guess Sir Joh
wasn't as backward in leading the state as some would have you believe.
Anyway I will contact the ARA and see what the go is. Thanks.