Track Access charges & legal liability

I was wondering what the legal situation is , if a privately run train falls
off the track ,due to the poor condition of the track in a situation where the
poor condition of the track has been known to the Railway Body that is
charging a track access fee for a long time , and the Railway body has failed
to fix the track.
ie what happens if the Overland derails between Geelong & Ararat.
It would seem to me , that as the railway is charging a track access fee for
the right to run a train over there track , that there is a duty of care to
ensure that the track is in a condition suitable for the purpose for which the
fee is charged.

Does anyone know what rights or conditions are provided by the payment of
track access fees.

MD

Maurie Daly
Department of Communications Lab.