Re: Long haul distances

A Albert <root@aalbertantispam.demon.co.uk> wrote in article
<ant1417280b0VGUC@aalbert.demon.co.uk>...
> Would someone tell me the distance travelled by the Indian-Pacific and
also the approximate length of the Alice Springs - Darwin route (if it ever
got built)?

> Thanks in advance.
> --
> Tony Albert, Hoelbroc Doomsday Book 1086
> Producer of Rail East
>
> According to Train Journeys of the World, the Indian Pacific travels
3960km from Perth to Sydney (2461 miles to you imperialists), the Alice
Springs Darwin line, despite political pronouncements from time to time,
still looks a long way off, the first sod is still to be turned.  It's
about 1500 km by road from Alice Springs to Darwin, so obviously a new line
wouldn't be cheap, there was some talk a few months ago about private
enterprise funding construction, supposedly Indonesian finance was involved
in part, but look what's happened to their currency just recently.

Regards

David Bennetts