Re: 3801 and 3830 Double Headers

In article <01bd1f9d$1e5bc860$38471286@fpdwol_pc4210.itwol.bhp.com.au>,
Chris Stratton <stratton.chris.cp@bhp.com.au> wrote:
>Some of the locos at the RTM were purchased, some were donated, others are
>under a 'Deed of Gift' from the NSWGR/PTC/SRA. I don't know any details of
>this Deed of Gift, but it wouldn't be hard to find out.

I've got an old (ten years old!) list at home somewhere. The Deed of Gift is
something along the lines of "custody in perpetuity." Which makes it easy for
the real owners to get items out of Thirlmere if the need arises.

>As for offering shares in locos, aren't there a lot more people in the UK
>than Australia  so they would probably be able to raise more money.
>There has been much debate over 5711. If the money was found to restore it
>to operable condition where could it be run? I don't know what the max
>speed of a 57 class is but would it be fast enough to run on main lines and
>not block other traffic?

Whatever 57's could do in the past, the max speed the current railways would
allow a restored 5711 was only 65 Kph. So I can understand the RTM's reluctance
to go ahead with a full restoration (although personally I would have said go
for it and prove the engine's capable of more without breaking the track). As
for restoring 3820 with 3813: why bother? There are now two working 38's for a
dwindling market. 3642 and 3526 both require funds and aren't getting them...

--
Dr Adrian Whichello                                  Phone: +61 2 9351 5339
Imaging Science and Engineering Laboratory             Fax: +61 2 9351 3847

"I wish to God these calculations had been executed by steam!" - C. Babbage