Re: Rail in Tas

Maurie Daly wrote:

> A friend of mine has just returned from a holiday in tasmania and although hes
> not a rail fan ,is pretty observant about trains and from where he was staying
> in Ulverstone reported that he had seen a number of very long trains carrying
> timber going through, quite often , up to 7 trains per day.
> What was more significant however was that these trains were hauled by 3 locos
> at the front and 2 in the middle of the train.
> Is this normal practice for timber trains in Tas or would this be a result of
> Transrail taking over.

Triple heading isn't unusual. I've never seen operating locos cut into the
middle of a train, but I haven't been in the right places since the takeover.

The only obvious sign of change is the AN logo painted out on locos at
Brighton just before Xmas and an usual number of empty log and coal wagons
stored at Conara.

David Cooper