Re: Hex wheat train

Chris Stratton wrote:

> David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote in article
> <349DB80B.41617308@ozemail.com.au>...
> > Chris Stratton wrote:
> >
> > > A hex headed wheat train came down the hill into Unanderra about
> 7pm
> > > Saturday 20/12. It consisted of 81/81/48/48/48/48. Does anyone
> know if
> > > these are regular workings and where they come from?
> >
> > It would be a wheat train from the south west branch lines, headed
> by
> quad 48s due to the
> > axle load restricitions on the branches.  The two 81s would have
> been put
> on at Moss Vale
> > to provide dynamic brakes coming down the hill into Unanderra.
> >
> > --
> Why work the 48s right through? In the past they would have been
> replaced
> by 81s at Junee or Temora depending on where the train came from. Does
>
> Freightcorp have a shortage of 81s?
> Regards,
> --
> Chris Stratton
> Wollongong, NSW, Australia
> stratton.chris.cp@bhp.com.au

   I wouldn't think that there was a shortage of 81s by reading some
postings on this group. Everyone keeps saying that there are too many
locos in NSW at the moment. Wrong, we are again seeing 81 class on
Hunter coalies and with the wheat season just taking off I suspect that
the stored locos will again see service.
                                            Bob