Re: House of Representatives Hansard 19971119

In article <68ermo$t4m@gateway.dircsa.org.au> arthur@gateway.dircsa.org.au (Arthur Marsh) writes:
> [...]

>   from Perth, right through the eastern states and up to Brisbane.
>   The new company will operate commercially and will generate freight
>   growth on rail. It will create a more efficient rail network and
>   long-term jobs in rail. Most importantly, it will create uniformity in
>   operating regulatory systems within the rail network in Australia. It
>   was an historic achievement by the Howard/Fischer government.
>   We should contrast that with the Australian Labor Party's record as
>   far as rail in Australia is concerned. They do not have a very good
>   track record on rail. The policy they had with regard to AN saw the
>   loss of 7,000 jobs. We have turned that around. We have privatised the
>   operations of AN and stemmed the flow of jobs out of AN which was
>   bleeding under Labor. That is not just the view of this government;
>   that is also the view of some high profile people within the Labor
>   Party.
>   It was interesting to note some comments made by Senator Schacht in a
>   Senate estimates committee hearing last week. When they were talking
>   about the sale of AN, he said with regard to the arrangements set up
>   under Labor:

>. . . and all I can say in my weak defence is that I got outvoted in the
>caucus of the Labor Party on that crazy decision. Those of us who had our hands
>up saying, `This is crackers' have all been proven 100 per cent right.

>   The managing director of AN, Mr Andrew Neal, said that that was the
>   reason why AN's demise occurred and Senator Schacht responded:

>Absolutely. And I can tell you who the guilty parties are: two state rail
>systems aided and abetted by the Railways Union of Australia. . .

>   Mr Tanner--And is that the federal government's fault?
>   Mr VAILE--Senator Schacht is talking about your policy as it was in
>   the previous government. Senator Schacht went on to say:

>. . . `This is the way we will rob money from the federal government for a
>new national rail corporation.' Based on what they wanted they were successful,
>but of course they rooted the whole system. Neil O'Keefe and I and a few others
>all voted against it, but we got done by the vested interests of those three
>groups. And you--

>   that is AN--

>are the poor victim.

>   They were Senator Schacht's words last week. That has come from that
>   side of the political spectrum.
>   It is important to note in closing in response to the member for
>   Hinkler's question, that the Howard/Fischer government has achieved a
>   great national goal in establishing a corporation that can manage the
>   track network for freight across the Australian rail network, instead
>   of it being run by five or six parochial fiefdoms of the states. All
>   parties should acknowledge that and it would go a long way towards
>   improving the efficiency of transport in Australia.
>
>--
>Arthur Marsh, telephone +61-8-8370-2365, fax +61-8-8223-5082

This all sounds mighty exciting until you start to figure out what it all
actually means .
What the hell precisely is "The National Track Network."
>From the point of view of an uneducated politician or a Govt Bureacrat its
simply the std guage track from Brisbane to Perth.
But lets look at this a bit more precisely.
There are many areas which are messy.
Is Roma St to Acacia Ridge which is now dual guage 3.6 and std guage the
National Track.
How about Maitland to Sydney to Cambelltown.
West Footscray Junction to Dynon .
Nth Geelong C to Gheringhap.
Northam to Midland to Kewdale.
The point Im getting at is that there are lots of bits of the National Network
which arnt National.
If the new crowd mentioned above are going to have their own train controllers
I can see a bloody hell of a punchon .
Also what happens to the existing Rail Access Authorities?
I cant wait to see how the new mob  are going to get rid off the existing
plethora of safeworking systems / comms systems , driver accreditation rules
etc.How about for once , a uniform "National Loading Guage."
Makes the mind boggle doesnt it.
All I can say is , I wish the new crowd all the luk in the world as they are
going to need it.

MD