Re: Melbourne Ticketing.

David Proctor wrote:

> Chris Gordon <c.gordon@ugrad.unimelb.edu.au> wrote in article
> <34AB1EE9.BCAAE5D1@ugrad.unimelb.edu.au>...

[SNIP]

> > I have noticed next to the gates at the station there is a little red
> button.
> > Is this some kind of emergency button to open all the gates if someone
> gets
> > stuck?
>
> It is an emergency open button, but it more intended for when there is a
> fire or some other reason for a mass evacuation.
>
> > I can see if it is then after a football or cricket match at the MCG the
> button
> > being pushed and eveyone getting on to Richmond station.
>
> In Sydney, there are USUALLY (not always) staff at the barriers to prevent
> this from happening!

Here at Glenferrie (Melbourne), we have got those buttons on the bottom
of each platform ramp for a while now and yet to hear my friends
mentioning anyone pressing those buttons at non-emergency situations.
Then again, the school kids around this area probably haven't work out
the affect of pressing those buttons.  Unfortunately (from what I
heard), it takes a number of steps for station staff to reset the
barrier gates back to normal again.

I.C.

Translib Pty. Ltd.                                 A.C.N. 077 950 513
712 Glenferrie Road                        Telephone: +61 3 9815 1233
Hawthorn  VIC  3122                        Facsimile: +61 3 9815 1299
Australia                              Email: enquiry@translib.com.au
                                 Internet: http://www.translib.com.au
Books and Media            Information Service             Stationery
Approved CCT Library Supplier for Purchasing Victoria and MAPS Group