Re: Olympic Loop

On 31 Dec 1997 23:59:41 GMT, alberta@zip.com.au (Albert Alcoceba) took
time out from wrapping gaffer tape around gerbils and wrote:

> KK> They could look at the Malaysian system where a barrier pops up
> KK> between the platform and train before the train departs.  It remains
> KK> up until the next train arrives.
>
> And why is all this so much of an issue now?  For 50 years we had suburban

Political Correctness.

> electric trains running with no automatic doors which were normally left in
> a wide open position.  We had very very few accidents as a consequence of
> this - most accidents that did occur were the result of foolish grafitti
> artists.

When travelling near the open door, people used to hang on for dear
life.  In fact, on a hot summer's day, there was nothing better than
being next to the open door for the trip between Redfern and Burwood.

> We also ran buses (in Sydney at least) with the rear door wide open for
> many years... very few accidents.  What's the big deal... seems like we're
> all taking safety practices a bit too far.

I tend to agree with you.  Another thing they banned us from having is
fireworks.

The government is treating us like children!

Catchya

   http://www.ozemail.com.au/~kingpin1