Re: Sydney Light Rail Dreaming

On Sun, 27 Dec 1998 16:24:15 +1100, "Garry Hoddinett"
<hoddos@netspace.net.au> wrote:

>Couldn't the line existing line turn north up Castlereagh Street, take a
>dive through a low profile tunnel and join Bradfield's old "Eastern Suburbs"
>railway tunnels in the south east corner of Hyde Park?

If the south east corner of Hyde Park is the goal, a turn from Hay St
north into Elizabeth St, then North East into Wentworth Ave would seem
a better approach.

>The light rail would follow these tunnels through St James up to their
>end somewhere in the vacinity of Macquarie Place.  The tunnel could be
>extended to rise up in Reiby Place and the now surface tramway would turn
>north up Pitt Street, cross Alfred Street and then terminate adjacent to
>the ferry wharves at Circular Quay.  Stations would be Whitlam Square,
>Park Street, St James, Bent Street and Circular Quay.  To reduce costs
>any new tunnels would be of a low profile to suit the light rail vehicles.
>
>This route would seem to cause few traffic congestion problems and may even
>be cheaper than building a surface line through city streets.  Any comments?

Its certainly a *much* better idea than trying to have them compete
with surface traffic through the Park to Hunter st area.  I imagine
one problem will be the amount of city real estate required for the
access ramps, which even allowing for a fairly steep grade, will still
need a reasonable amount of surface area.

Also, I'd think that the disused St James Tunnels would probably be
usable up to around Hunter St, so the Bent St area would probably be
the place on the surface for them to aim for, with a loop around
Loftus and Pitt.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill Bolton