Re: Neutral Bay tram line

"David Martin" <d_martin@mountains.net.au> wrote:

> Where exactly was the Neutral Bay tram line's steep hill?

Wycombe Rd, between a bit North of Harietta St and Kurraba Rd.

> Looking at a street directory, I figure the line went down Wycombe St. But
> did it cross Kurraba Rd, go into Lower Wycombe Rd

No, it turned into Kurraba Rd for a block and then into Hayes St down
to terminate on the level on a short jetty until 1952.  After that
trams terminated on Hayes St short of the jetty.

> Where was Shell Cove Loop?

In Wycombe Rd between approx Harrison St and Thrupp St... it was quite
lengthy.  It was originally called Harrison Loop. but later became
Shell Cove loop, from Shell Cove Rd which joined Wycombe St about half
way along the loop.

Kurraba Rd, Wycombe Rd and Harietta St are part of one of the
traditional "back routes" for auto traffic between the North Sydney
area and Cremorne/Mosman dating back many , many years.  Many
residents of the general vicinity knew of the "special" trams that
operated on the route, but they only ever saw the single track ends of
the route, near the Wharf or at Neutral Bay Junction, and so had no
idea there was a lengthy section of double track in the middle of it.

The traffic on the line meant the loop was rarely needed and had been
through wired (i.e. no overhead frogs) for primary use of just one
road from the early 1900s.  There has never been a satisfactory
explanation of why such long loop was provided when any loop was
barely needed at all.

Cheers,

Bill