Re: Darwin Railway's new rollingstock?

Maurie Daly wrote in message ...

>Much of this freight is then transhipped from rail to road and goes on to
>Darwin and return.
>The rest all goes by road , all the way , and will continue to do so,simply
>because its quicker and much cheaper.

But would it be cheaper and quicker? I am no expert in transport economics,
but I would imagine that one of the factors that trasnport companies look at
when considering modes of travel would be the cost of transhipment from rail
to road at ASP and the delays involved with that. I would imagine that a
through line would capture a large amount of the freight.

There is also the matter of NSW-NT traffic. Although there is not a lot of
it, most of it goes from SYD-BNE, then through Longreach to Mt Isa, across
to Three Ways, and then up to Darwin. This could be targetted for conversion
to rail.

David Proctor
daproc.spambait@umpires.com