Re: CityRail ticketing urgrade?

boofheadpaul@yahoo.com.au wrote:

> Hi
>
> Tender in todays's SMH (14/12) calls for tenders "...to cover maintenance and
> upgrade of SRA's ticketing system, cash collection and other related services"
> for up to ten years.
>
> An upgrade?  It sure as hell couldn't be downgraded any further!
>
> --
> Paul McCabe

I really dont see a problem with the existing shittyrail ticketing
system in theory, without going to smartcards there is no real way to
upgrade the system, HOWEVER! before you hit the reply button, i do think
the reliablility of the ticket machines could be fixed up and maintained
better but the "system" works well, easy to use (when working properly)
and hard to get around...

lets not look back to the biggest failure in ticketing systems in
sydney, the "metro ten" system on the busses before the greenmachine
system in place now, this system used a strip down one side of the
ticket where it printed a black dot, if the ink was running out then the
spot wouldn't be very dark and the next time you validated the ticket it
would validate the same spot, a bit of liquid paper on the ticket would
last a while, but i remember getting 17 trips on a 10 trip ticket
without trying

--
I Michael Van Baast       I