Re: Ausrail FAQ

On 14 Dec 1998 09:50:20 GMT, markbau1@aol.comQQQQyuk (MarkBau1) wrote:

><<<<<<<When I was a NSWman we called 'em Mark 3 X's just the same as 48's
>which came in 4 versions - marks 1 ,2,3,and 4. (Of course mark2 X's
>were really cheap versions of 422's in a 45 type body ;-)).>>>>>>>
>
>Give me a 2nd series X any day, at least 10dba quiter than those nasty 422's
>and if you were unlucky enough to get the toilet end, PHEW!!!!

At least they had toilets; and lube oil and water. Three things that
always seemed to be in short supply on a mark 3 X class.

>I did too many trips on your beloved 422's on the ICD facing directly into the
>setting sun to ever become enamoured of them!

And I did too many trips to Goulburn in the winter to get excited
about X's. Too bl****y cold when the snow is falling. The seats dont
recline enough for long nights in crossing loops. No coupling lights
mean groping in the dark when attaching or detaching other locos.
Lets face it, Mark. Both state systems locos have good points and bad
points. the major problem was we could never get all the good ideas on
one loco.

>Mark II X indeed!

Everyone knows that they are really mark 4 S classes (or mark 5 42's.)
;-)

Cheers

Krel

Just another eccentric crank.