Re: Steepest train/tram line

On 14 Dec 1998 09:55:07 GMT, markbau1@aol.comQQQQyuk (MarkBau1) wrote:

>Roderick, the fact is that Ingliston is 1 in 50 and it was only that VR ran
>very small trains that allowed the speeds down it that they did. Try running
>15,000 ton coal trains down 1 in 50's, even with ABDX control valves you would
>be mad to exceed 20 MPH.

we are not talking about 15,000 ton trains here. Try around 2000-3000
tonnes tops.

>VR was right on the borderline of being stupid with the speeds they allowed
>down Ingliston, but you've never driven a train so maybe you wouldn't
>understand.

I have and I do understand. However the speeds down a 1 in 48 (65km/h
for freight) seem to be a reflection of the standard of rollingstock
than madness. NSW runs bigger trains down steeper grades faster.
utilising grade control valves and dynamic brake help a lot.

Once NRC got rid of cast iron brake blocks in favour of composition
blocks braking improved but we were still restricted to 65 by the PTC.
On Adelaide superfreighters I would have been qite comfortable with
running downhill at 80 km/h or so. If GY's, teakettles & two position
signals equal 65 km/h surely High speed container flats, 3000hp locos
with d/b and three position autos should see some improvement.

Cheers

Krel

>Mark.
>

>Visit my train pic website at: