Re: Vic Tangaras

In article <19981213162355.12315.00001922@ng97.aol.com>,
  markbau1@aol.comQQQQyuk (MarkBau1) wrote:
> <<<<<They were sometimes called Silvers before MTA put green and yellow on
> them.>>>>>>
>
> Not "sometimes", they were always called silvers by employees and this
> continued long after they got their green decals.

They were certainly known as "Silvers" to me - a mere railfan - for a long
time. When they ceased to be called that is lost in time, but may have
something to do with the delivery of the Comengs, meaning there were two
different "Silvers".

> <<<<<<The swing door cars were commonly known as Doggies (dog boxes).>>>>>
>
> The term Doggies was coined by the Melbourne press very late in the game. My
> uncle who was a spark driver from 1949 till 1981 NEVER used the term "doggie"
> but rather "swing door"

That may be, but I well remember travelling to Belgrave (for Puffing Billy
work) in the early 60s, and to Hurstbridge (just for fun) in the mid 60s,
riding in what we called "dogboxes".  I am sure it was a railfan term then -
otherwise I wouldn't have known about it.  (Of course, the term *railfan* was
equally unknown then, AFAIK)

JD
--

John Dennis