Re: Last Outbound Tram and Fare Dodging......

Gareth Lumsden <s9763278@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au> wrote in article
<Pine.SOL.3.96.981213014211.14645B-100000@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au>...

> My point - if connies were still on the trams, this would be a very
> profitable service.  But, because the government relies on
> the "honesty"  of hot, intoxicated, tired commuters at 2 am in the
> morning, Messcard is not making money.  In fact route 16 trams could run
> all night on hot summer nights and still be profitable if they had
> conductors.
>
> That's my piece said, anybody got a comment?

Exactly why Sydney Light Rail put conductors on their services.  If you
factored in other indirect costs such as increased security, reduced
vandalism, assistance to disabled passengers, it would have made even more
sense to retain conductors.

Melbourne could have adopted partial solutions - eg conductors working the
inner areas in a radius of say 3km from the city centre.  At least they'd
get some revenue!

David Bennetts
Canberra