Re: Central Station - "New" Destination Indicator

Graham Fry wrote:

> To my amazement I see at Sydney's Central Station two new train
> destination boards are being constructed. They are located on the
> country train side adjacent to the toilets.
> However, the most remarkable aspect is the technology - wood, 4 sided
> turnover blocks, manual clock and not a wire in sight! While this
> technology is still common on suburban stations I find it amazing that
> at one of the busiest stations in Sydney we go back to this system.
> Does this indicate that all these new electronic indicators may not be
> as good as claimed or that their costs cannot be justified?
> Will this replace the current light system indicator located behind the
> barriers?

They are probably knocking down the wall where the indicators are located as
part of the easy access program.  I imagine you won't see the old light
indicators again, as they will very likely be replaced by VDUs when the
upgrading is complete.

--
David Johnson
CityRail Guard