Re: What to do with XPT?

Truely:
I would be nice to have both loco haul trains running and daylight train
service as well(I wouldn't bet on VFT).

Back track old copies of Railway Digest, Andrew Mclean suggest using EL
class hauling sleepers, lounges, dining cars motorail CAN RUN at
competitive speed with XPT (10 minutes slower only). This is true as
there is no section I knew of on North Coast line where XPT can reach
its full potential of 160 kph, in the main south if EL class hauls
ordinary coach(with modified bogies) with limited stops I'm sure it
could match XPT's speed.

I suggest Brisbane to Sydney in exactly 9 hours XPT journey maybe done
by reduced stops and refurbish XPT carriage to tiltable trains, and made
Grafton XPT to serve the rest of the small towns.

Great Southern or QR, interested? (I wouldn't bet on Country link)

James