Rail services return to Cooma

Some ten years after passenger services to Cooma were discontinued, the
Cooma Monaro Railway group have restored a CPH railmotor and begun
operating short weekend journeys from Cooma Station to a point three
kilometres north of the station, where they have built a short platform.
The opening day was Saturday 5 December.

I spoke to Ian Robertson, President of the group yesterday about the
operation and he informed me they have one local driver and some others
available out of town.  They intend to operate each weekend, but this will
be subject to crew being available.  At this stage they intend to operate
each weekend in January.  They hope to operate to Bunyan, 9km north of
Cooma very soon as the track is in good condition to that point.

There has not been much publicity to date about the re-opening, though you
can read a report from the ABC regional news at:
http://www.abc.com.au/news/regionals/bega/monthly/regbeg-1dec1998-2.htm

With all good wishes to the group in its new venture

David Bennetts
Canberra