Re: A Sydneysider travels on Melbourne Trams ... still curious

Wrong!

<<<<<<<Just to complete the answer, they were for 1500v DC and 4-car Hitachis
were
the last trains on the lines before conversion.

By the time the Port/St.Kilda closed Hitachi's were only running in 3 and 6 car
configurations. I can't remember for sure but I think the last trains on both
lines were 900 series Harris's. Peter Vincent drove one of the last trains so I
hope he'll answer.

FWIW, The Met kept secret the actual last run because they didn't want a train
"hijacked" at one of the terminals by protesters. The actual last runs were a
few hours before services were scheduled to finish.

Mark.

Visit my train pic website at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~markbau/