Re: Darwin Railway's new rollingstock?

thalytgv@my-dejanews.com wrote:

>Anybody know how many new rolling stocks requires once Darwin line is
>finished?

Not much at all, unless Darwin becomes the "main"
container terminal in Australia.

>My humble calculation indicates this will require 120 locomotives likely
>newly build as most of the carrier are shortage of power. Along with about
>1000 new wagons to be adeque for freight trains from Sydney, Melbourne,
>Adelaide and maybe Perth.If Great Southern Railway willing to serve this
>section, it would probabily extend its "Ghan" service to Darwin and will
>require about 40 carriages again brand new since GSR already sold most of
>surplus carriages and about 2 locomotives as well.GSR might want to provide a
>tourist shuttle service for Darwin to Kakadu National Park, this work best if
>GSR brought 2nd hand "Prospector railcars" from West rail as by that time,
>new "Prospector" should be in service.

Railcars to Kakadu.?

IF ...the line is built.
IF ...there will be passenger trains.
You could always alight at Pine Creek, the nearest
point the new line will come to KNP, and thumb a lift
for the last 200 K's or so, due north.!

Cheers

----Terry Burton