Re: South and West line closedown during Christmas

This posting has prompted me to ask a few questions regarding standard
gauge track. I know the answers will be different for mainline,
branchline etc.

What tolerences are applied to the track? How far can the gauge spread
before maintenance is required? How much further can it spread before it
is unsafe? There should be a big difference! Is gauge widening applied
to curves? If so, how much.

How much can (wooden) sleepers deteriate? I have been told than on V/R
branchlines 1 in 3 should be good, 1 in 3 can be poor and 1 in 3 can be
rotten.

What criteria are used to set speed restrictions, or how do you know
that a given speed is safe on a given stretch of track?

I do not want to start a thread on unsafe track (cf a recent Current
Affairs atricle), but I would like to know the normal maintenance
limits.

Regards,
Michael Milway.