Relayed By Bus (Was XPT delayed by bomb search)

dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) writes: > Michael Van Baast (vanbaast@acay.com.au) wrote:
> > > I suspect the now late running XPT will terminate at Albury.
> > >
> > i find this hard to beleive, i would personally ask for my money back if
> > they ran a coach or subbed a v/line service
>
> It's been done before when the XPT has been running late or the line was
> blocked. Check the conditions on your ticket - the operator is entitled to
> alter the mode of transport without notice.

I had an experience many years back on the (then) Southern Aurora.
We were woken at Albury at 0430,and given 15 minutes to dress, pack and
board a bus for Melbourne,due to the line being blocked by a derailment
at (of all places) Violet Town.

Instead of the anticipated leisurely breakfast in the dining car,it was a
15 minute scramble at a greasy roadhouse at Euroa, competing
with about four other busloads.  The coffee and food was so bad it
was almost up to XPT catering standards!  :-)

I agree with David, the operator has to take steps in an emergency
to get passengers to their destination quickly - particularly
if it's due to factors beyond their immediate control.
It's just a pity that in great railway tradition, common courtesy to passengers
often seems to  be the first casualty in the ensuing rush.

Cheers,

Paul Hogan