Re: Meeting with Speedrail

Chester (chester@chariot.net.au) wrote:
> How far is it from Canberra Airport to Civic?

On a good day you can drive it in only 5 mins. I don't think it would be
easy or cheap to get a line into Civic, and Civic is not a good location
for a transport hub anyway. There has been local talk of moving the bus
terminal from the Jolimont Centre out to the airport even before Speedrail
starts running.

>From areas such as Belconnen and Tuggeranong it's easier and faster to get
to the airport than to Civic.

ACTION is starting a new airport service next month, which may lead to a
possible airport express service similar to Sydney.

> Could light rail be a alternative to a Speedrail extension to Civic?

Light rail is another kettle of fish.

> Allso on a related topic, who owns the current railways in the A.C.T.
> and into whos pockets would the cash from any sales of land go.

According to Janes World Railways, the actual track was part of CR/ANR but
I have no idea who owns it now.

Cheers
David