Re: An interesting theory

David Bromage wrote in message <6qh41p$ofl$1@news.mel.aone.net.au>...
>Having gone deep into some of the VFT bids, there are some interesting
>coincidences of timing which have come up in one of the bids.

<a big snip - read the original if you want to>

>Back to Adtranz, you will remember the great VIP tour with the X2000 ran
>to Wollongong. I'm pretty sure Countrylink always had in mind a southern
>line service via Wollongong. The route was one reason (possibly the ONLY
>reason) that Bob Carr supported Transrapid.
>
>Now am I way off here, or does it sound reasonable?

I've forgotten which bid was named which but from memory at least one bid
involved tilt trains on existing but upgraded tracks, one involved the
German anti gravity dingbat machine and the remaining one or two involved a
new line using TGV type technology.

According to newspaper reports any system using existing tracks was opposed
by the successors of the SRA. I could not imagine Freightcorp or NR being
too happy to have to have their money earning freight trains put away for
some vomit comet carting pollies between Syd and Canberra.  As for the anti
grav mobile, the less said the better.

That didn't leave much choice.

Barry Campbell