Re: North Queensland & tilt train

David Bromage wrote in message <6q3qbs$mbc$1@news.mel.aone.net.au>...
>IMHO, Queensland Rail should be joining forces with Japan to develop
>higher speeds for 1067mm gauge. Japan has plans for a narrow gauge
>Shinkansen, although smaller and only doing 200km/h in regular service. If
>Western Australia, New Zealand and South Africa also joined the project,
>it might have more potential.
>
>New Zealand is a tricky one, but I threw it in anyway. Would there be any
>need for such a railway between, say, Auckland and Wellington?
>
>Cheers
>David

Brisbane - Mackay 980km @ 200 km/hr = 5hour approx. Plane 1hr 40 min. Full
plane fare is about $450. Therefore train fare is worth $150. Advance
purchase air fare can be as low as $274. Townsville fares are only slightly
higher than Mackay due to the use of larger planes. Travelling time is not
that much more. It is an extra 2 hrs @ 200 km/hr. Note that to achieve that
speed the only stops you could afford would be Bundy, Rocky, Mackay &
Townsville.

A waste of time even thinking about it.

Barry Campbell