Re: Indian Pacific

David Bromage wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Garry R. Ford wrote:
>
> > To include the great commuter/tourist trains of Queensland with the
> > decrepit IP is defamatory.
>
> Decrepit? Obviously you haven't seen the IP lately since the refurbishing.

Well I saw a set sitting in the platform at Central on 27 July and its
condition externally at least was not good. I didn't look internally.
Has it been refurbished since then?

> Who will be able to afford to travel on the GSPE? How often will it be > able  to run through to Parth? Maybe once a month?

As I said, sell your house. I already know the Queensland portion's
fares proposed, and I won't be able to afford to travel one station! It
is aimed at the QE II class of passenger, not your average man in the
street. I've seen some of the cars and they make their OE look like its
3rd class Indian railway stock after a riot on board!

Since the train is running as an upmarket Daylight Railtour in
Queensland, you are probably right. Going via Melbourne (as I believe it
is now proposed to run the IP via with the Ghan running to Sydney - Hot
off the Rails #13 28 August 1997 - key contractual points re sale of
ANR) on the standard five days in Queensland add at least another five
to Melbourne, if not more, then say three to Adelaide if not more and
you have three weeks already and you still have the Nullabour to cross.

A months journey from Cairns to Perth would not therefore be out of the
question and a similar time for the return trip. Thus you would be
running a trip every two months if only one set is built as at present.

Even to Sydney would be say an eight to ten day trip on the Daylight
Railtour principle, although only two days as a direct train.

Cheers

Garry