Re: Tasrail ZR2 adhesion

John Dennis wrote:

> Now I am familiar (at least in layman's terms) with the various modern
> electronic techniques to improve adhesion, and also with the age old
> method of sanding the rail, but applying friction to the wheel treads
> does seem to me to be a little strange.
>
> Can anybody out there shed some light on this.  Does it really work?

I will share my thoughts, but I do not profess to be an expert in this field.

Friction blocks would have the positive effect of cleaning the wheel, oil and water would
be removed from the wheel, allowing better contact at the rail.

They would also be good for arresting wheelslip, because you wouldn't have to worry about
limiting traction motor current, you could just load up a slipping wheel.

I don't know if it works or not, but it is an interesting idea.

--
David Johnson
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~trainman/