Re: Cost of Alice Springs to Darwin.

"Krel" <krel4203@netconnect.com.au> wrote:

>Although it has a new alignment and concrete sleepers the Tarcoola to Alice
>line was built on the cheap. Some sections are still restricted to 80 km/h
>due to light rail.

That's true, between the 915-1055 km and 1086-1098 km
the rail was 40 kg/metre.  It was said there were
supply problems at the time of construction.

I recall a trip on the Ghan back in 1987 when there was
a looooooong slow order section in one of these areas
where we crawled along at a snails pace, there were
long sections of rail laying along side the track.

Cheers

----Tell
Alice Springs NT