81s back up the coast

On friday 19/12 I saw a National rail train heading north through Hexam
with an 81 as second unit. There have been stories around for a few
weeks about a fairly large number of NRs out of service. I have heard
that as many as 15 units may be out of service at the present time. One
reason could be that the entire fleet are having engine rebuilds after a
world wide recall on pistons by GE. Also there have been as many as 5
units at Broadmeadow (Gonninans) awaiting collision or accident repairs.
Have any 80s made a comeback yet? Also does anyone know if NRC have use
of 422 class anymore?
                                          Bob