Re: NR's have Bells!?

steam4me@enternet.com.au (Yuri J Sos) wrote:
>While waiting to film the Kinder trains at Sunshine, a down SG steel
>transfer rolled through.  I'm sure I heard a bell ringing from the
>loco (a la North American practice).... there were a few of us
>trackside.
>Was I hearing things?  Do any other locos have bells?  What are the
>regs governing the use of bells on locos?
>Regards
>Yuri

Well, in Alice Springs the section of track from
Heavitree Gap to the Alice yards is frequented by
people who like drinking grog a lot, as well as three
level crossings with bells and lights.  Some time ago,
one NRC Driver obviously decided he had enough of going
for the "big hole" on the train brake and decided to
use the bell from the Gap into Town.
I and a lot of other people who live trackside
discovered that NR loco's have bells.

BTW...... has anybody noticed the variation between NR
horns, do they have the same problem as the EL's.?
I have heard many NR's making their way into Town and
have noted at least a dozen "variations on a theme".

----Tell
Alice Springs NT