Fix Australia, Fix The Railways

Australia is excessively dependant upon road transport with the result
that our roads are being systematically destroyed at a faster rate than
we can fix them, our precious oil reserves squandered, our peace
constantly disturbed, and our citizens killed in ever increasing numbers
as trucks and road trains (for the benefit of non aussies, a road train
may have up to 3 trailers behind a single prime mover and travel at 60
mph) take over our roads.

There is one basic reason why this is so. Road transport does not have to
pay for the construction and maintenance of the roads they use, rail
does. To correct this situation and get freight back onto the trains
where it belongs we should fund rail track construction & maintenance in
the same manner as roads, from general revenue, and allow private
transport companies to operate trains.

This one simple change would remove 95% of the long haul trucks & road
trains from our roads overnight.

W. EVANS
PERTH