Re: Trams vs pedestrians in Syd

Nobody wrote:

> "geoff dawson" <geoffrey.dawson@aph.gov.au> wrote in message

> > Out of curiosity I reran my calculation supposing a maximum line speed of
> > modest 36kph - surely slow enough for the safety of jaywalkers.
>
> That is a pretty fast pace - the average speed of a bike rider, or about the
> same as a sprint. I believe on city streets trams are restricted to 20km/h,
> though that may have been lifted somewhat.

Melbourne's trams have the same speed restrictions as road traffic, ie,
60 kmh on most main roads. They can easily get to that in light traffic.
Of course in the CBD the lights etc slow them down greatly, and as
mentioned, in the Bourke St mall they go at walking pace.

There are various curves and areas of shithouse track where there are
posted speed limits for trams of 20 kmh or less :-(

There are two long lengths of track in Melbourne where the track is in a
central reservation of very wide roads that have speed limits for motor
traffic of 80 kph -- the outer ends of the East Burwood and Bundoora
lines. Sadly, the trams have governors which prevent them going faster
than 70kmh on these sections, even though they certainly could if the
governors were not fitted.  Ditto with the long straight sections of the
Port Melbourne and St Kilda "light rail" lines which are totally
segregated as they are former heavy rail corridors.