RE: City Circle 'W' s back in service.

Oops, accidentally deleted Daniels question.

I didn't ask how much the pitmen cost but you could work it out yourself
(maybe $100k a year)

The W's have returned to manual slack adjustment as part of the
modifications.
The department person in charge of it admitted to me that the slack
adjusters
were the major cause, though not the only one, of the problems. He said
their
removal was necessary but not sufficient to make the brakes satisfactory.
The
problem is not so much the rate at which the W's brake but the fact that the
more modern trams brake more quickly. They were concerned if they left the
original system there, there would be too many W's running up the bum of the
tram in front and possibly killing the driver as the W's offer little driver
protection. Apparantly the union had something to say about this.

I think the track brakes AND the speed restriction together constitute
overkill but he sort of did convince me that something was needed beyond the
return to manual slack adjustment. He did say emphatically that will be the
last experimentation with auto slack adjustment while he has anything to do
with it!

Vaughan

Vaughan Williams
Secretary