Re: Adelaide Tram Refurbishment

What is the approximate cost of a new light rail vehicle? I'm not
really sure that this project was worth it. Perhaps we would have been
better off with new fully air conditioned, low floor, quiet vehicles.
One or two H class cars could have been kept for weekends and specila
occasions. The Glenelg-City tramway is one of Adelaide's greatest
public transport assets and should, in my opinion, not be run with 70
year old trams that belong in a museum.

Having said that, seeing as the upgrade is being done, I hope the
trams will be more attractive to passengers.

Tali

On Tue, 29 May 2001 15:52:08 +1000, "David Bennetts"
<davibenn@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>A major refurbishment of the first of five Adelaide H Class trams
>(City-Glenelg) is now approaching completion.
>For those interested see the following website:
>http://railnutternewsau.tripod.com/AdelaideTramRestoration.html
>
>Is the $5 million cost for the five trams or the whole fleet?
>
>regards
>
>David Bennetts

Remove NOSPAM from email address.