Re: Any comments about the "M>" service improvement program?

Joeb Black <joeblacks_s@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just wondering what you all think about the "M>" service improvment
program,

It doesn't exactly impress me.  The 'refurbished' trains are hardly an
achievement if they are
just as grotty as the older trains 6 mths down the track.  Better regular
cleaning is
required rather than expensive 'refurbishments'.  Having grown up with
automated ticketing,
conductors and staffed stations do not excite me much, though there is a
strong body of
opinion that supports these.

Also there seems to be little of substance re service frequency.  My top
priority would be
moving towards improving service frequency to 20 min max 5am - midnight, 7
days per week.

The following are my priorities (mainly for trains)

1. 20 min frequency introduced on Sunday mornings and until 10pm weeknights
2. 20 min frequency extended to midnight, seven nights per week
3. Daytime frequencies on northern and western lines improved to every 15
min
4. Saturday daytime services improved to every 15 min
5. Sunday and night services made every 15 minutes
6. Tram service frequencies be improved to 15 min or better (mostly they
already are except
nights and Sunday mornings)

Services more frequent than 15 min may require vehicle acquisition and could
run into capacity
problems with the City Loop.  Though desirable in the longer term,
introduction of frequent
 cross-suburban bus links operating 7 days per week every 15 min (to link in
with trains)
should be accorded higher priority.

Peter