RE: [Sydney] Ticketing - was Light Rail into the CBD?

The real problem underlying all of this in Sydney, and the reason people are
reluctant to use more than one mode of PT, is because there is no genuinely
multimodal ticketing system and no sign of one being introduced.

The SLR and the Airport rail link are just two examples. Sydney needs a
fully
multimodal ticketing system - in fact, I would say this is the single most
desparately needed public transport initiative in Sydney. And in Brisbane.

Vaughan

>> The Red TravelPass includes unlimited travel across a vast area on three
>> modes - STA bus, CityRail and STA ferry. A Red TravelPass and an SLR
>Weekly
>> Pass are certainly *NOT* like with like! Rather, for the purpose of a
>> commuter from Lilyfield to Haymarket who has two choices - one tram trip
>or
>> one bus trip each way - the SLR Weekly Pass and a Red TravelTen are 'like
>> with like' - though the Weekly Pass does have the added value of unlimited
>> travel along the one tram route within the week, so it can be used for
>> leisure trips on weekends or on weekdays outside of commuting.
>>

>Very few regulars travel Lilyfield to Haymarket, to Central yes, and they
>are at the entrance to the platforms, no long walk from Railway Square .
>Most regulars from the stops on the WestEx alight at Pyrmont Bay and walk
>via Pyrmont Bridge to the CBD.  The daily cash fare: $2.20 single & $3.50
>return.  Now the fare on the bus, if a Brown TravelPass costs $17.60, then
>one dunk is $1.76 and a dunk on return is $3.52 each day, the daily cash
>fare is much more!  It is cheaper by tram,  but now compare time:  Lilyfield
>to Pyrmont Bay by tram on right-of-way about 12 minutes;  bus in peak hour
>traffic via the infamous Parramatta Road, Broadway, Railway Square and
>George Street;  I have no idea how long but tram passengers have said 30
>minutes from Lilyfield to Railway Square,  way  l-o-n-g-e-r  than the time
>taken by tram!
>
>Ted

Vaughan Williams
Secretary