Re: how much to up grade braks on old trams

David Bennetts wrote:

> With new trams coming into service soon, it'll be interesting to see whether
> services are run at improved frequencies, or they'll just withdraw the older
> Zs and maintain the status quo.

The 100 new trams are supposed to replace all the Z1s and are part of a
scheme to replace all post-1975 trams with low-floor trams by about 2025
to comply with Commonwealth disability laws. But with fleet numbers so
tight and a slowly expanding system and better services, I suspect some
of the Z1s won't be rushed into premature retirement. They are hardly
old in tram terms. Such places as Basel, Bern and Gothenburg keep their
trams at least 40 years. In fact the trams the Z1s were based on,
Gothernburg's M28s, are still running and they are 10 years older than
the Z1s.