Re: Millenium Train Update

Tezza wrote:

> From April Issue StateRail Train Crewing "Crew News"
>
> Whereas the rest of our electric fleet is powered by Mitsubishi traction
> systems, this train will contain Alstom equipment that is of the same design
> as that used across many rail systems in Europe, the UK and some passenger
> rolling stock in the US.

A brief look at the Alstom website indicates that the Onix traction system will
be used (the 4GT is listed in the applications section). It doesn't say anything
about the traction motors, but it may use the Citanis 500 traction motors.

http://www.transport.alstom.com/alstom/alstom.nsf/html/equipment?opendocument

> Alstom are building the traction systems in France and are currently testing
> our equipment in preparation for its shipment and installation in Australia.

The website says commercial operation date: end of year 2000!!! It's 2001 isn't
it?

> Directly infront of the driver and the main feature of the desk are the two
> touch screen Train Operating System (TOS) display units

Who's supplying the TOS? Hopefully better that the woeful TMS in Tangara's.

> On the driver's left the desk accommodates a kettle, commercial radio, power
> point, train radio and a control panel for cab, step, saloon, marker and
> timetable lights, the crew heaters and demisters, the crew cab door controls
> and the park brake controls.

Is there enough room for a kettle? Only thing missing is the kitchen sink.

Regards,

Jon Lau