Re: Millenium Train Update

The conversion of DC power to AC raises the questions:

Are they dual or singal voltage (ie can they run on the 1.5kV DC and 25kV AC
(if that ever happens))?
Can they be converted to dual voltage or full AC latter in their lives
(again, if 25kV AC ever happens)?

Adam

"Tezza" <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message
3af552b6$0$25500$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3af552b6$0$25500$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> From April Issue StateRail Train Crewing "Crew News"
>

> Like the current Tangara fleet the Millennium Train will be a "Trailer -
> Motor - Motor - Trailer" four car combination, with a chopper system
> powering the 226 kW traction motors on the motor cars.
>
> However unlike our current stock the new train will be powered by an AC
> traction package.
>
> This change of package makes little difference to the operation of the
> train, nevertheless there are significant differences in the
technicalities
> of the train. Whereas the rest of our electric fleet is powered by
> Mitsubishi traction systems, this train will contain Alstom equipment that
> is of the same design as that used across many rail systems in Europe, the
> UK and some passenger rolling stock in the US.
>

> The AC power is converted from the 1500 volt DC overhead supply via the
roof
> mounted inverter unit in each motor car and power the four, three phase AC
> induction motors. The power transistor inverters are able to  provide a
> faster smoother response to the driver's commands.
>
> In braking the traction system controls the braking effort through
> regenerative braking, resistor braking or a combination of both, as well
as
> blending the electric brake with the pneumatic brakes to give a controlled
> deceleration under all conditions.
>
> The use of microprocessor control of the main inverters gives the
operating
> system the ability to detect and control adverse or fault conditions.
> Single, repeated pan bounce or heavy changes in overhead supply will be
> detected within the operating system and the traction power returned to
> normal quickly and smoothly. Wheel slip can be controlled to give only
> minimal reduction in power until the slip is corrected; in most cases the
> reduction should be so minor that it will be invisible. Even the loss of a
> traction package can be compensated by the other units and provides
> Millennium Train with full speed running under fault conditions.
>
> Alstom are building the traction systems in France and are currently
testing
> our equipment in preparation for its shipment and installation in
Australia.

> At this time the fitout is confined to the "behind the scenes" structures,
> cabling and piping, therefore the cars still resemble steel boxes with
> windows and are yet to take on the cosmetics that will be Millennium
Train.