Re: Rail gathers steam in freight race

"Maurie Daly" <mauried@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
3aef7216.10870627@can-news.tpg.com.au">news:3aef7216.10870627@can-news.tpg.com.au...
> Absolutely true.
> Its worth asking the obvious questions as to why exactly is so much
> money allegedly being spent on AP to Darwins and on hi speed Melb to
> Brisbane railway lines , when the most obvious line that needs
> upgrading and is on the corridor between the largest 2 cities in
> Australia and which have the most contestable freight being ignored.

 I beleive it has lots to do with the fact that the lines run through the
last two conservative-governed States/Territories in one case, and through
Federal electorates vulnerable to One Nation influence in the other.

A huge chunk of the inland line in NSW is contained within John Anderson's
electorate of Gwydir, where he is being squeezed by the Hansonites and the
conservative independent Tony Windsor. Add to that the fact that the head of
the consortium is acknowledged as a prominent Queensland National Party
member, and I think your question is pretty well answered.

Graham Smith