Re: [Vic/Qld/NSW] Inland railway to Brisbane

John Coyle <nospam@newsranger.com> wrote in article
<ACjH6.4409$SZ5.363123@www.newsranger.com>:

>I am greatly pleased that work will start in October on the
>Moree-Toowoomba standard gauge line.

Will still believe it when I see it. Look at the VHST and many other rail
projects. Our governments have a proven track record of pork barreling in
the rail industry. Alice Springs - Darwin is an exception, but still, I'll
believe it when I see it.

>The people who "knock" the project
>now, are VERY short sighted.

No-one is knocking the project. We're knocking the government for making
promises and not delivering.

>In 10/15 years time, they will have loads
>of "egg on face", due to the "unexpected" [ to them ], shift from road
>to rail on the Melbourne-Brisbane line, and by that time, Darwin and
>Gladstone lines.

No-one wears egg on their face for being cynical. It's sensible to be
cynical, owing to the past record of the government. What's the bet that
the project will never end 100% complete. Whilst parts will be done, I
highly doubt the project will end 100% complete. Shortcuts will be taken.

If they do complete the project 100%, I will be happy, not wearing egg on
my face.

>What is really exciting to me, is the concept of a
>"Tilt" train doing 200kmh from Melbourne to Brisbane!

As VW puts it, technology fetishism at it's best. Why do we need a tilt
train? What is wrong with a conventional train that can do 200kph? As long
as the line is built properly, I don't see a need. It's fun to cr^H^Hdream
over nice technology though.

Taking into consideration that freight trains will do 115-130kph at best, I
highly doubt there will be a 200kph passenger service using the line. I
don't see that Melbourne-Brisbane direct would be too feasible either.
Melbourne to Brisbane via Sydney, yes, but direct, no. Why bother when a
plane can still do it in a squillionth of the time?

>Remember, the NEW
>"Prospector" from Perth to Kalgoorly is planned to cruise at 200km/h
>Meanwhile, in NSW, the old XPT will still be plodding along, SLOWLY,
>from Sydney to Brisbane!

I will concede that Countrylink need to do something with their XPT
service. Something really needs to be done now, or they will not survive.
That said, I still stand by the idea of a train that has an abundance of
facilities to keep passengers entertained and/or productive over their
journey. There also needs to be motorail facilities. The latter can't be
done with the XPT too easily, but you can certainly provide a lounge,
satellite Internet access (even if it costs), radio, video, television for
passengers.

The idea of a Melbourne-Sydney Sydney-Brisbane service would be such that a
train could leave mid-evening, and arrive in the next city the following
morning. In that time, business passengers can keep connected with their
email, travellers can sit back in the lounge, or watch TV/video just like
they would aboard an aeroplane. Interstate passengers wouldn't be
restricted by having to leave their car at home, rather, take their car
with them (big advantage over air travel).

All this as opposed to a train that leans over. Go to Sydney, they already
have suburban trains that do that.

MK.

--
(To email me just remove ".spam" off my email address).

Whip me, Beat me, just don't Windows ME