Re: [NSW] Wagga victim's mother's letter to SMH

The installation of lights and booms is a difficult decision for any system,
with many different players and much emotion involved.

There certainly are standards, but tses are often ignored when a pollie wants
something done, or as some times happens, someone is prepared to cough up the
money for a particular location. On occasions a private crossing owner
operating a business (such as a quarry can be 'forced to pay up')

Yhere is a great misconception that installation of booms is the ultimate in
safety. This is not the case, and the number of damaged booms testify to this.
Booms are just a futher visual warning, and in most systems are only installed
on multiple tracks to stop vehicles that have stoped for a train from one
direction crossing in front of a train coming from the other disection.

The other question which needs to be asked, is spending money on booms the
best way to improve overall safety, or could the money be better spent
elsewhere.

--
Bruce L. Greening

Norrail@optusnet.com.au