Re: [NSW] Wagga victim's mother's letter to SMH

Chris Downs wrote:
Well, actually Allison Wooden wrote in part:

> The Government should try installing adequate safety measures instead of
> expecting drivers to stop on a red signal - particularly when the one at
> Gerogery was so easy to miss.

Safety measures are certainly important, but the greatest safety measure
is a safe driver. Expecting safety measures to help someone who ignores
a red light is like the old "closing the door after the horse has
bolted". What do we teach our drivers when they start? Not much, maybe,
but one important thing is to stop at a red light.
Follow the logic of being ultra safe, and we'll end up with boom gates
at traffic lights.

> The combination of the ridiculous angle of the lights, the two metre-high
> grass, the dog-leg bend, the speed of the train, the stop-on-red signal sign,
> the western sun shining on the second set of lights all added up to totally
> inadequate safety measures.

Given that IIRC the accident happened at 2 in the morning or
thereabouts, I would have thought the setting sun would have been of
minimal contribution.

> With a Russian roulette bullet (XPT) shooting down the line at 160km/h, it is
> the Government's duty of care to ensure nothing less than boom gates are
> installed at each level crossing.

Unlike Russian roulette, you *know* where the train is travelling, and
you have an opportunity to stay out of its way, viz obey the damn signs!

> I haven't seen any of the 400,000 warnings that have been sent to regional
> households.
>
> It's not enough, is it? Be realistic: boom gates at every level crossing in
> NSW is the only thing that will ease my mind and ensure my son did not die in
> vain, along with his four mates.
>
> What is a life worth? If you have dangerous level crossings in your area write
> to your mayor, local member or the Staysafe Committee.
>
> Alison Wooden, Wagga Wagga, April 22."

Oh, and no mention of the train driver who *lived*, and now has that
image in his mind for life.
My sympathy to the families of all in the car, and the driver of the
XPT, and the emergency services personnel who were present.

Cheers.

 Peter Homann
The light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off
until economic conditions improve.  Management.