Re: [NSW] Wagga victim's mother's letter to SMH

I agree. In local towns where trains are going slowly through a yard or
whatever it *Should* be adequate to have only lights and bells. A boom gate
would be nice, but there is only so much money to go around. At places like
Gregory it is sheer stupidity to not have boom gates when the trains are
going so fast. Trains can't be expected to stop and wait at crossings for
traffic to clear. It is the drivers responsibility to stop and check for
trains. Personally, I always come to an almost complete stop at crossings
with no boom gates, firstly because I know first hand what happens when you
don't (I knew the people in the Vineyard accident a few years ago...), and
secondly because I'm a gunzel.... If there's a train there I'd like to know
what it is and where it's going...

--
Paul Jones
http://pj_rail.tripod.com