Re: [Vic/Qld/NSW] Inland railway to Brisbane

This holds interesting possibilities.

Could the XPT use the track as far as Wagga to shave some time off its
journey to Sydney?

Also it holds the possibility of 200 kph passenger trains to Sydney if an
adjoining line spurring off to Sydney was upgraded. It would be much cheaper
than a TGV.line to upgrade the NSW track from Wagga to Sydney.

cheers Peter

"James C." <james_ccj@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> http://www.theage.com.au/business/2001/04/30/FFXU93PO3MC.html
>
> Inland link to Brisbane 'no longer a dream'
>
> By PHILIP HOPKINS
> Monday 30 April 2001
>
> Construction of the $1.4 billion Melbourne to Brisbane inland railway will
> begin in October this year, according to the project's organisers.
>
> The rail line, which will chiefly carry freight, will also have the
capacity
> to run fast passenger-tilt trains.
>
> The chairman of Australian Transport & Energy Corridor, Everald Compton,
> said Macquarie Bank was raising the capital, a mixture of debt and equity,
> for the rail line, which has the backing of several Victorian businessmen.
>
> Mr Compton said the winning consortium to build the project, known as the
> Australian Inland Rail Expressway, would be announced at the end of May.
> Seven groups had put in a tender.
>
> "The Australian Inland Rail Expressway is no longer a dream. It will be
> built and it will commence in October of this year. We know that we can
get
> the finance. Nothing will stop it," he said.
>
> ATEC, the small management company driving the project, would also be
> floated on the Australian Stock Exchange next year, he said.
>
> ATEC's Victorian shareholders include the agribusiness leader Doug Shears;
> former senior National Australia Bank executive, Cliff Breeze, now
retired;
> the head of FCL Interstate Transport Services in Footscray, Bill Gibbins;
> and the owner of Ardmona Fruits in Shepparton, Santo Varapodio.
>
> The company plans to symbolically drive the first spike into the ground at
> the McIntyre River near Goondiwindi on October 26, and construction is
> expected to be finished in 2004.
>
> The chief executive of Melbourne Port Corporation, Chris Whitaker, said
the
> Melbourne-Brisbane rail link would open up new export opportunities for
> inland agricultural producers and generate additional business for the
Port
> of Melbourne. "It will be of especial benefit to regional Victoria," he
> said.
>
> The route from Melbourne will run on the standard gauge track via Seymour
> and Albury-Wodonga through the inland New South Wales towns of Wagga
Wagga,