[Hijack: SA] Was: Re: WL1 (IP) at Penrith Down Siding?

David Johnson wrote:

> Chris Downs wrote:
>
> > I now have a little more on this incident from a most reliable source.
> >
> > Apparently WL1's load was 811.7 tonnes with a single NR.  However WL1's
> > running times are set for 800 tonnes so some obnoxious train controller
> > decided that since it was overload for its running times (albeit full load for
> > an NR on the mountains is 900 tonnes) it couldn't run till after the peak
> > and/or till a second loco was obtained.
>
> That's almost as funny as the 4200 tonne coal train that arrived at Hurstville
> with four 86s last week.

But not nearly as annoying as the 830 class stuck on the front of 520
some years ago. I think the train was about 40t overweight for a 520 to
climb the Adelaide hills, so a not very clean 830 was added. But instead
of removing it, it stayed all the way to Tailem Bend. Oh, it could have
been detached at Murray Bridge, but then it had to run *ahead* of the
special trains, and there wasn't enough time. Argh. Spoilt many a
person's photo that day. :-(
If you're wondering when I'm talking about, it was the last visit of an
R class to Adelaide before standardisation. Someone able to supply dates
etc?

--
Peter Homann
Steam Fireman, Pichi Richi Railway