Re: [NSW] Fire in XPT (power car) at Lithgow

Chris Downs wrote:

> http://www.news.com.au/ see breaking news.  No injuries (of course).  Sounds
> like the passengers were transferred to a spark for the trip to Sydney.
>
> Chris

The XPT arrived on the platform at 1825. I noticed smoke coming from the
rear power car(XP2018)/sitting car. I think it was actually the
compressor that blew. I told the PSA (who smiled and thought I said
'Your train's on time). Looking through the window into the engine room,
you could see large-ish flames. A bit was seen under the bogies as well.

At first the rear car was evacuated (apparently the PSA had a hard time
getting them out), while I called 000. It took them about 5-10 mins to
arrive. The fire suppressant system on the XP took a few mins to come
on.

Initially we put the XPT passengers on W590 (4 car 1839 to Syd) and then
decided to put them on the 6 car set that was due to arrive soon (1559
from Syd that usually forms W594 2039 to Syd).

The urban left about 1850 or so. The XPT left at 1945 (the could have
waited until 2030 for me, but NO). Shortly after an 81 (or 82) and a 48
class came through LE. I think they assisted the XPT to Syd.

--
Anita Lukaszyk
neety@iprimus.com.au