Re: "Whitton" type trestle near Old Junee

Bruce Greening wrote:

> Thankyou for publishing this work. I was on site for a time during the
> possesion when the new bridge was being constructed, and have some photo's
> if you would like them.

I certainly would!

> Just a comment on the "Whitton" type bridges common in NSW.
>
> Ehile they look nice, they are a very diffucult structure to maintain, and
> they have very many components that make their maintenance cost so
> expensive, that in general they are not maintained.

Much as I like our steam era infrastructure, I agree with you completely
regarding the difficulty in maintenance, and by inference, the inappropriateness
of steam age infrastructure to today's railways.

It has been my firm opinion for many years that the best way to "preserve" steam
age infrastructure is to build models of it!

> I also canot understand why 'squared' timber is used. By removing so much of
> the log a great deal of good timber is thrown away. In Qld the use of a much
> simpler (Yhough not ballast deck) timber structure, using round logs has
> resulted in the bridges being maintained to a much higher astndard than in
> NSW.

Tradition would, I think, be a major factor in this.  I have learnt not to
underestimate the strength of "tradition" in all facets of our lives, let alone
railways, afterall, 1 to 15 platforms at Sydney Terminal are still known as the
"Steam platforms"  ;-)

DPC James McInerney

STOP!  In The Name Of The Lore!

At http://www.cia.com.au/bullack/ , "Lambing Flat's" mainpage for the HO model